View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #35
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
Finished my 350z/240sx hybrid column today. I landed a new used column off ebay for $15! I opted to combine the two columns because I needed to change out the lock cylinders for the nats security and I wanted the look and the feel of the newer multi controls and the newer keys lol.
Columns side by side (S14 up top 350z on bottom obviously):

Columns would have swapped out almost perfectly if it wasnt for the ends being way different:

So after comparing and planning I decided to combine the two to make one...
Removed the locks for comparison:

Test fit of the 350z lock on the 240sx column:

Found out that due to the different shapes of the slots the locks fit into the 350z lock did not sit flush into the 240sx slot.
240sx one is round like so:

350z is oblonged like so:

But no problem, got out the drill with a metal file bit and went to town and got the lock to seat right:

Now I needed to change the mounting plates for the multi controls in order to use the newer 350z type controls, these are actually controls out of an altima, the reason I used them is because they have a switch for the fog lights that I will hook up to control my factory S15 fogs.
Here is a picture of them to compare (S14 left 350z right):

As you can see the 350z plate is alot larger, but the S14 steering shaft is fatter, so I busted out the grinder took some measurements, made my marks and went to work grinding the welds off to free the plate. End result:

In order to get the 350z plate to fit onto the S14 column the hole in the center needed to be bigger, no sweat. I got out a hole saw some screws and a piece of wood to do the deed. My trick, anytime I want to widen a hole in metal, either to make the circular hole bigger or just to turn a hole that is not circular into a clean circle, is to screw a piece of wood to the back side of the metal and use the wood to keep my drill straight to make a nice clean, circular hole. I did this like so:

After the hole was drilled I lined my bracket up with my marks I put on the column, went down to my buddies house and had him weld it back into place for me. Re-installed the lock cylinder with new shear screws from the $tealer$hip and here is the final product:

And the test fit with the new multi controls:

Steering column.............CHECK!