View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Just about every single car I've owned with a fiberglass kit had stress cracks. That is the number one reason why I personally avoid fiberglass.

S-chassis owners in general are fairly notorious for not reusing OEM brackets to mount their kits. That was high up on the list as to why the bumpers at least would develop stress cracks around the mounting points.

Now, most S-chassis fiberglass fenders made have very thin mounting points. Thin/weak mounting points combined with improper installation (aka zipties or missing brackets) will lead to it looking like shit in no time.

A reputable body shop can easily strengthen the mounting points, trim the kit for proper fitment, retain factory brackets, run the aftermarket bracket options available (proshopnoble, auto collect storm, etc), or build your own.

Installation also becomes another factor. Do you plan on running rivets, riv nuts, or panel bond and molding? Personal preference comes to mind when it comes to the overall look and execution you're aiming for.

If reselling the car in the foreseeable future isn't on your radar, I'd say go for it. Enjoy it however you choose, just weld and seal the quarter panels properly after cutting. Another annoying thing is dealing with rust from people cutting out the rear quarters and not sealing them from the inside as well.

There's a decent amount of quality fender manufacturers out there for the R32. If budget isn't a concern, I would focus on finding someone experienced enough to properly install them if you plan on molding. Have them use some sort of chip guard on the inner areas. Another one of my pet peeves is seeing exposed fiberglass on the inner fender and bumper areas because they didn't properly coat and protect them from normal driving.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote