View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #147
Rocklobster

Trader Rating: (0)
Rocklobster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuonthis View Post
I just got off the phone with Stance. I asked them to check on the status of my replacement mounts which they said they would send out last Tue or Wed. They said they hadn't sent them out yet because they didn't have any in stock and were waiting for a shipment of them which would be in "within the next week." Grr...
Stance is telling me the same thing. But hey, at least they are after it and going to help, and responded to my e-mail the same day.

Quote:
The real reason I called though was because my coilovers are so bouncy. Not sure if I should use this thread to describe it but here it is: even on the smoothest roads, I am bouncing up and down, especially when I'm driving under 40 mph. It's sometimes like a teeter-totter effect. Other times, it's just the whole car bouncing. With any stiffness setting of 1-7, I pretty much bounce nonstop throughout all roads and freeways. With a setting of 8-13, it's not as bouncy but it's still there, "just stiffened". It's pretty embarrassing driving in a parking lot now since I'm basically bouncing through the parking lot and then when I turn, the springs pop. I've ridden in other S14s with Stance coilovers and they were all normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm guessing I have a blown damper somewhere but I can't really see anything in my visual checks. I was going to test out the front dampers when I replaced the front mounts but now that's gonna be at least another 2 weeks, so I guess I'll just check them sooner. ::sigh::
This is a classic symptom of too much preload on the springs. Also adding preload will never do anything to cure the problem of a siezed pillow ball or one with too litle clearance and in fact wont help at all. Becauset he car loads the springs the same amount when the car is on its tires regardless of preload.

The shaft nut being too loose can cause the same kind of springs rotating in thier perches problem. It could also be a blown damper but, if the system is relativly new it's more likely that there is too much preload.

The only reason you preload the springs at all is so they dont shift around when the suspension unloads (when the car is on a lift or something) thus changing your alignment.

Your suposed to only have enough preload so you really have to muscle the springs with both hands to get them to turn in the perches when the tires are off the ground.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote