Thread: S13/S14 to 350Z
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
honda is not known for over-engineering their cars. what i mean is, they're engineered to support what they make (unlike toyota, for example)

i may be wrong here (though i doubt it), but the rear-end in the s2000 (7" ring gear) cant handle too much power and the high-compression isnt exactly turbo friendly. i would think if you start boosting, you're going to need internals and stronger drivetrain...

going NA -> turbo isnt a walk in the park. do it wrong and your car can easily become a garbage can...... you know, like most of the builds here.
^^^I totally agree about the rear-end (Hell, the drivetrain in general) not being ideal for drifting or putting tons of power/torque to the ground. But there are remedies for that.

However, I was completely surprised to see what a bone stock internal F20/22C was capable of under boost. It seems to defy that conventional logic. 600hp seems to be their 'safe limit' that most choose not to surpass on the S2000's stock internals and those cars have been running fine for a long time under considerable abuse.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/9234...can-they-hold/

From what I've been reading, the GTX3076r is a preferred turbo because it will make an ample but not excessive 450hp(ish) with a quick spooling 370+ ft/lbs to produce some real low end torque.

Its a way more fascinating motor than most give it credit for. I mean, it's not bulletproof, but there are alot of examples out there showing that it's much stronger than you'd expect from Honda. I mean, everybody knows that 240hp from a 2.0 is special, but I don't think anyone knew exactly how special it was until they started throwing more boost at it. Like I said earlier: it murders the VQ35 under boost. The HR needs 1.5L more to keep up. The DE's can forget about it.

Another thing I like about S2000's? No hunting around for a manual version. They're all manual! Fucking Awesome.