Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #3027
Odysseus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
^daaaaym herra tuck.

a skid plate wouldn't even fit over my oil pan. hangs about 1/2" - 3/4" below the subframe/swaybar. i'd just be dragging it on the ground the entire time. going to raise the motor when i put the new one and the trans in. new mounts will probably help a lot too. also thinking about having the pan modified maybe. vw guy style hahaha.
Ahhh yeah with a pan like that your pretty fucked. What motor is going in? VW style idea aint a bad one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Skid plates are for recreationally low cars. On low low cars, they are more hindrance than help.
Not even close to true. My S14 is stupid low. Im tucking inches of 18 in the back and a fingers gap up front. My skid plate just fits well so it does its job without hanging down far. The skidplate is 1/4" thick so it hangs down 1/4" past the lowest point before that, usually the sway bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
So true, people keep telling me to get a skidplate. Theres no fucking room for a skidplate anymore.
Your on like 14x7s or something, shit dont matta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence View Post
That and the damn hardware just gets scraped off and you get the chore of trying to back the screws out without a head.
True, at my height, Ive scraped off exactly one bolt head in over 6 months. I just replace messed up bolt heads when I do oil changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_240sx View Post
Odysseus was/is pretty low and his seems intact, unless he's just now installing it.
The picture I posted is the skid plate on my S13 drift car that Im building. I have the exact same one on my S14 daily that is low and it does have scrapes in it because its doing its job. Its thick enough where it wont bend up into the pan. That was my problem with PBM ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booey13 View Post
His looks fairly new and the same style as PBM. Mine was trashed in no time.

Your pan is thanking you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasss View Post
I dont se the point in a skid plate...
You hit something hard enough your pan is cracking regardless. A thin piece of metal aint stoppin that shit.

raise motor> skid plate
True, but I use Cusco mounts and your not bending a 1/4" plate of alluminum anyways. Trust me, I have hit some shit at freeway speeds on roads I dont know with my skid plates and all it does it scrape it up. My car basically uses the skid plate like its a snowboard and the bump or whatever is a jump. I catch the s1ckest air sometimes.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote