View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #33
Skylinechaos

Trader Rating: (2)
Skylinechaos is an unknown quantity at this point
So continuing right where I left off, I pulled the motor and ended up torching the ringlands and skirt on cylinder #1. Surprisingly the top of the piston was in great shape which proves the point that the motor blew from a PCV blockage rather then boost.

Block ended up having barely any scoring so I decided to utilize the same block and head but I shoved some goodies into it. Here is the details for anyone interested:

-Block was decked and bored .020" over
-Wiseco 89.5mm pistons
-Manley rods
-ARP 2000 main, rod and head studs
-King race main bearings
-Clevite race rod bearings
-Polished crank and fully balenced assembly
-Cosworth 1.8mm HG
-BC dual valve springs and titanium retainers
-Tomei 270 Cams
-Cosworth Thermostat

Ended up having the car back up and running less then 2 months after blowing it, would have been quicker but had some issues getting race bearings.

Anyways, car fired right up after throwing the new engine in and I drove it home from my buddy's house about 30mins. About a week later though I started noticing that the car would get hot while driving but cool down while idling, took the radiator cap off and whala, blown headgasket. When I had assembled the engine I reused my old ARP head studs and out of sheer stupidity I had thought that ka head studs torqued to 90 ft lbs when they were actually 70 ft lbs thus stretching the headstuds and lifting the head in boost. So I threw a new headgasket in and new studs in an afternoon and kept piling on the break in miles.

I forgot to mention, During this time I converted the car to K20 COP because to be quite honest, the factory distributor is hideous. I had a buddy of mine make me a bracket and hit up the junkyard for some CRV Coils and threw them on.

About 2 weeks later break in was finished and it was time for the dyno. I had Mikey from Mikey Spec Tuning tune the car on E85 and almost missed the appointment because my almost brand new Aeromotive 340 give out 1 mile from the dyno . I ran to a buddies house and grabbed a Walbro 255 from his car and ended up just making it. After switching it over to E85 the car ended up making 267hp and 315 ft lbs at 13ish psi.

So the power wasnt really what I wanted but the tuner and I have a couple of theories. Theory #1, the Tomei Cams that I have are the first batch ever and we thing they may be a bit degreed off warrenting sdjustable cam gears as turning the boost up only upped torque and horsepower wouldnt increase. Theory #2, as you can see the graph looks pretty choked up and we think that the big 270 cams and the little s15 T28 may not be a good combo and is literally choking the turbo as in reality the turbo is a 2560 and the exhaust side is tiny. That being said, the car still rips, it makes crazy torque super low in the rpm and feels great. I do notice that it gets pretty hot when doing pulls and Ive seen the cast manifold glow at night without even beating on it super hard. This kinda supports both theories and really makes me think the tiny turbo is doing more harm then good so something like a 2871r will most likely be coming soon.

In the mean time though the car is running great and is a blast to drive and is now down at school and hopefully ready to attend a drift event finally.

Skylinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote