View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Ever Seen This? First Time For Me

I have a customer who brings me a 74 510 wagon. Its a basket case from another shop that went out of business (I know why they were butchers).

His complaint is "the car has no power and will not rev past 4000 rpm"

I do my due diligence and check over all the basics,one of the first things a noticed is the timing is set to 20* but the distributor is cocked very far forward vs being center.

Among the many tests I performed in my diagnostic process I did a compression test & got outstanding results so I didn't bother with a leak down.

I strap the car down on my dyno just so I can watch AFR and kinda get a better understanding of whats happening.

image0 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr
Here is what I see

image1 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

At this point I am wondering if the ECU is hitting a fuel cut? I double check the neutral safety switch & the 5th gear sensor at the ECU. It all checks out

Next step pull the valve cover and check timing

image2 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image3 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image4 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

Not Looking good at all. Time for a phone call & authorization for tear down

3 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

2 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

1 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

Upon Removing the oil pump / front timing cover I noticed some serious contact & scoring.

6 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

5 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

When I said earlier that the shop that had done the swap and built the motor were hacks I was not kidding lol Check out the hardware I removed from the oil pump

7 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

Finally we come to an end I get the chain off and see the crank cog & lo and behold

4 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

I have never seen it go down like this before. I cannot seem to wrap my head around the fact that I had great compression 210 across the board. These are interference motors...or so I thought.

Have any of you ever seen the crankshaft cog break like this?
I did how ever notice that the intermediate gear was not OE, in conjunction the oil pump was DNJ brand (bad news)

Please give me some thoughts, opinions, suggestions.

Thank you.