View Single Post
Old 06-21-2023, 08:28 AM   #51
thermogod
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
thermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
I've been keeping up with this thread but somehow missed your replacement of the driveshaft rubber (what the euro dudes call a guibo). Other than having to drill out the certain holes, has it been othewise a long-term install success? I've always lamented how replacing a worn shaft is basically up to how good of condition the next one you can find is.
yes, and ain't that the truth for most of these parts: my missing A-pillar trim, shift boot, etc, all you can find is someone else's used parts...eventually used parts make their way between 82 owners and get truly beat up. i guess you have to intercept 240 parts at the beginning of their use cycle before someone else destroys them...

but now that i'm using the BMW guibo, now that i've done 256 miles on it, i can say it was a success. i used teflon tape on all 6 bolts through it, along w the 4 bolts on the rear diff flange, and nothing has backed out. the vibration is gone.

supa, i checked under the car yesterday. lots of surface rust. i do not see anything structurally concerning, and i would call this "drivable until winter at which point i should drop the subframe and sand and powdercoat with new bushings" - anyone see anything of particular concern here? other than, you know, all the hardware and bushings are crap? the frame forward of this point is rust-free.

in case anyone's wondering how i can call this a "build", the mods moved it into this section. i hope this is interesting enough and i do intend to keep updating progress. i have transformed this car from completely undrivable to one that does 66-mile roadtrips and will continue to modify/improve it.

Last edited by thermogod; 06-21-2023 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: removed worlds largest picture
thermogod is offline   Reply With Quote