View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #40
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'm going to disagree here at the process, not so much the concept. I know it 'can work' but think about reality

1. You need to find a shaft thaft has U joints that will interchange with the slip Yoke used on the 240.

2. You also need to address the rear flange as well.

So while it may only cost 15-30 bucks to find a 'used' driveshaft, you're going to spend another 30-40 dollars for the front slip yoke, and another 20-30 for the rear flange. Also gonna spend another 10-30 bucks in U joints as well. So now w'ere around 100-130 bucks in parts alone. Now you gotta measure (not hard, just time), and goto a shop that specialized in drivetrains to cut/weld/balance the entire assembly for you. Figure at a minimum this is going to cost 100-150 bucks.

With all of that in mind, where are you saving money again? Even if you err on the 'small end' of costs, it's still going to be darn near the cost of a new steel one piece.

Trust me when I say, I know it's possible (your process) but I also am realistic at the total cost of it all, and the time as well. To me, saving a few bucks isn't worth the total time to make it all 'work'.
logic win..
although the dude i called said he could use my old driveshaft and so long as i bring him one of the same diameter he could do it for 180... but its still easier and probably cheaper to just buy one lol
just a neat idea
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote