View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #41
Yuri
Ghost of Zilvia past

Trader Rating: (0)
Yuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo View Post
Where does the "most modified car in the US" come from? I seriously doubt it.
"most Modified car" comes from SEMA's official market information.
Aftermarket companies that are sema members get update every so often on which markets are the hottest.

There are more people modifying 240's now than any other model of car.
There may be a higher total number of civics that have been modified, but people are no longer sinking as much money into them.

Plus 240 owners are more likely to buy big-ticket items like wheels and suspension. Most of the stuff being bought for civics were trinkets.

As for classic Japanese cars increasing in value, there was a big uproar over Barret Jackson allowing a Toyopet Crown in the last auction.
Japanese cars have started to cross the block.

It takes time for cars to build value in most cases.
A lot of people never thought 71-74 Chargers would appreciate, but now their values are snowballing. The same with Dusters and Darts, musclecars that people never thought would rise in value.

As the higher end cars continue to go up, the next rung on the ladder is pulled up with it, as people who can't afford the top dollar cars buy the next best thing.

Toyota 2000GT's already sell for insane amounts of money when they are put up for sale (which isn't often.)
First gen toyota Celicas are already appreciating.
The Nissan 240sx has a huge cult following, and as a result, the prices have already stabilized, at around the same age as popular musclecars did due to demand.

You have to realize, the musclecar market is driven by nostalgia.
Most musclecars weren't impressive in terms of performance.
They may have seemed like they had tons of power, but most of the time it was rated in gross horsepower, not net or SAE.
Most family cars today have better acceleration. 0-60 in under 7 seconds was considered really fast back then.
I realize that there were several musclecars that could do the 1/4 in the 13's, but many couldn't.

What I'm saying is that most of the people who are buying musclecars are doing it because they remember them being awesome and desireable when they were young.
Just like most of us are doing right now by being on this forum.
In related news, I don't doubt that 30 years from now, mint original Evo's and STi's will be fetching high prices.
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote