View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #626
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingmofa View Post
What i meant is that it was balanced by itself, i think with the flywheel or some weight attached where the flywheel is supposed to be. Never saw it being balanced with my own eyes though.
So that's called individually balanced then i suppose?
Well there's essentially two types of engine balancing, external and internal.
V shaped engines, especially old school V8s will be externally balanced meaning that the flywheel and balancer have counter weights on them to correct the imbalance in the crank and rotating assembly.

On sport compact and inline engines you have internal balancing, meaning that since the action of two pistons simultaneously rising cancels out harmonics found in V orientated engines. This way you just have to balance the crank and the rotating assembly by themselves. All sport compact and inline flywheels, clutches, and dampers are "zero balance" meaning that you can change them without ruining the balance of your engine.