View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
aligoodn
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
aligoodn is an unknown quantity at this point
Q45/Z32TT use the Rzeppa or ball in cage style (same thing). Skyline GTR axles also use the same style joint. The axial torsion is more evenly distributed with that style of joint, which is why you find them on higher performance cars instead of the tripod style joint (6 contact points instead of 3). Also the design of the outer housings is superior with a ball in cage joint from a materials perspective. The angular nature of the tripod style housing puts stress risers in the metal right where the tripod rides on the inside of the outer housing, further weakening the joint. The outside of the ball in cage joints is smooth and the only sharp angles are where the grooves were cut for the ball bearings to interface on the inside of the housing. The angle is much more obtuse and the ball bearing doesn't transfer the torque right on the corner. Applying torque to the ball in cage joint results in fairly even strain around the outer housing, as the ball bearings attempt to stretch the outer housing. On the tripod style housing, you can't leverage the strength of the material in that manner.

J30's only used the ball and cage style for '93 and early '94 year cars, and then late model '94 and up cars shifted back to a tripod style. I guess Nissan decided that an NA VG30 coupled with an automatic transmission wasn't going to dish out enough abuse to warrant the more durable CV joints.

As for grease, pretty much any moly based grease will work. The issue is that most people don't periodically clean and re-pack CV joints as a preventive maintenance item. If you wait until the CV is making noise, its too late; by then the boots have torn and there's enough dirt in there that the joint is gone. They don't need it that often, in my drift car that's a winter maintenance item and in my street cars I do it every 100k and I've never had one fail prematurely. Remember to buy quality boots (preferably OEM), I've never had good luck with the cheap aftermarket ones; they always seem to crack.
aligoodn is offline   Reply With Quote