View Single Post
Old 03-17-2002, 02:17 AM   #23

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jeff240sx @ Mar. 12 2002,1:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why is the focus of this conversation who makes more power? I for one, don't want to drive everyday with 800hp out of either engine. It would be rediculous. I will hit 300, and if $$$ permits, 350hp. This, in either engine, will drop into the low 12's.
But to glimpse the strengths.
Sr - high revving.
Ka - Torque.
Weaknesses.
Sr - Aluminum Alloy block with Steel Alloy cylinder sleeves. (Wow. Steel Alloy. HAS to be 1/2 as weak as iron.)
Ka - Lower redline, less horsepower.

Now. Before people bitch about my less horsepower claim. I am talking two engines with the same mods. The KA will have less horsepower, but a lot more torque.
Each engine is for the right perspective owner, and people need to realize it.
-Jeff</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Well, you should just say less hp for the KA. What you need to do is to make the distinction that it will have less peak hp.

The KA typically have a much broader powerband than the SR. Not a huge difference, but significantly enough...

Case in point:

two 240SX, both dynoed 210rwhp at the 1st annual 240SX national meeting in Kansas City, Mo. One is a S14. The other is a S13. The S14 is running a F-Max stage 1 on an engine that has 100k miles on it. The S13, well, about 30k miles.

Since both cars have the same peak rwhp, it was thought it would be a good comparison. the S14 has about a 400lb weight disadvantage.

After three runs, the S14 with the KA+T came out on top on all three runs. Wasn't a run away victory, but a win nonetheless. Yeah, both have same peak rwhp, but since rwhp doesn't tell the whole story, and that the heavier car won means that the KA+T made more power through out more of the powerband, and torque is part of all that... HP is a function of torque and rpm...