View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 07:36 PM   #25
Danb
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Danb is an unknown quantity at this point
I started the process of going to the rotisserie and got it up there pretty easily. My new neighbors were watching me for a good while after they seen all of this but now I am like the neighborhood cool guy to all of the kids, some days I have to keep the garage doors closed to get any work done

Scheduled an appointment with the blaster dood and got it down to a workable surface. As you can see, it was pretty bad by my standards

My new panels came in from 2F, I switched from the origin rear panels because fitment was not very good and I didn't want the fuel door opening. I am extremely happy with the fitment of 2F stuff

Stitch welded about everything

Cut out the beat up center frame rails and replaced them with the GKTech Silvia passenger side replacement rail. The passenger side fit great and was able to weld it straight to the body but the driver side had about an Inch of gap in the center of rail so I had to skirt it with some 16ga to get it fully tied it. The fronts fit perfect and the rears had to be cut along the edges and folded inwards to get them touching the rear frame rail well enough to get some good welds. These GKTech frame rails are very robust, they may act as skid plates

The pinch welds were mangled from using them as a jack point for years so I started straightening them out ran into a big problem. They had basically separated in so many locations that I had to grind them flat and weld them shut from front to back. They were very dirty and hard to weld in a lot locations

Finally after so much work, I made it to the end. I cleaned the bottom and taped everything off, then sprayed 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2 coats of Upol Gravitex-Plus car underbody coating. I seam sealed everything and brought the coating up over my rear quarter situation to fully seal it off.

Summary of everything this far, This thing isn't a beater anymore!!!

Last edited by Danb; 07-18-2022 at 08:33 PM..
Danb is offline   Reply With Quote