View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #402
kkaleher
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
kkaleher is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok so I got the speedometer all fixed and working correctly now!!! The air gap between my abs sensor and reluctor ring was too large.

So here's what I did for $40 plus some wiring and a little sheet metal to make the S13 speedo work.

*S13 2jz w/CD009, FK40C trans
*98 Q45 rear diff/92 J30 5bolt axles into the stock hubs
* Now with the S13 cover, this poses a problem. The abs sensors on the 97-01 q45 diff are located on the diff cover so I made a metal bracket to attach one of the abs sensors back onto the diff. The FSM states the air gap for the abs sensor to reluctor ring should be .035-.070mm and check with a feeler gauge. Mine was too far away, causing it to produce too little voltage. Got it to .045mm and pow! I got a nice wave signal out of the abs sensor.
* I picked up a used Dakota digital sgi-5 for $40 and wired the 2 wires from the abs sensor I rigged up to signal and sensor ground on the sgi-5 box. Using the 1st output on the sgi5 I ran a wire to the back of the cluster (not the yellow and green one at the dash connector that won't work, it's an ouput) yellow wire with blue tracer, turned switch #3 to on all others off. After messing with it for a bit I was able to get my speedometer to work flawlessly from about 7mph-90mph so far.

So if you want a permanent cheap setup that works great with any powertrain then boom, there you go. This is of course if you are running a diff with an abs sensor.

Last edited by kkaleher; 06-19-2017 at 07:24 PM..
kkaleher is offline   Reply With Quote