View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #44
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
One the key things I can't stand about being in the military is the old phrase "hurry up and wait". I've been waiting in TPU for over a week now no clue of when I'll be joining my ship for the deployment. I've been told 2 things, I could leave any day and stay preprared to to leave with 24hrs notice or settle in your gonna wait here till the ship comes back... months.

After 5 days of waiting around I grew tried of waiting around on base doing nothing but playing smash and watching TV. I went out to my buddy's house and picked up my truck from storage. And loaded it up with tools and parts in preparation to work on the car for the weekend while its in storage at another friends house.

This morning I started off by swapping the Non-abs differential for a s14 VLSD diff. I don't want to run a VLSD but, this will work for now. After the deployment I have 2 paths i can follow ether swap the Cusco 2-way I picked up in Japan 2 years ago or finish my Z33 diff subframe but I have yet to find a decent ring and pinion instead of the R51 2.3 I currently have in the diff. The Z33 diff swap will probably have to wait till I step up to wide body tho cause the axles are very close to being to long for the stock track.

The drive shaft I ordered while in Florida fit like a charm. When ordering I had no clue how long the drive was but, I knew I had the K24 in about the same location as the KA24, just maybe 1/2" forward of stock. I choose to call it safe and get a ABS KA24 to CD009 driveshaft to use with a ABS diff, vs getting a NON-ABS driveshaft for an extra ~3/4". It worked out if I ordered the NON-ABS driveshaft it may have been a smidge to long. Most drive shaft manufacturers recommend ~1/2" of plunge left in the drive shaft yoke anyways even for IRS suspension.

Threw the catback on which hang a bit low for my taste but its as high as i can get it. I wonder how JZ guys keep their exhaust of the ground? Later I may have to use oval pipe for the down pipe for better clearance. Still doesn't go as low as to lowest section of the transmission tho.

Popped in the O2 sensor and started trying to get the K24 to idle on its own. I turned off all the flex fuel functions and it started to run smoothly but wouldn't idle. If it did, it would only idle at about 500 rpm. With a bit of poking around I found a setting under Idle Control called Max DBW position, which is a limiter for how much idle control can open up the throttle body and also acts as a scaler for idle duty %. The setting was at 0 maked idle control unable to open the throttle. After changing it to 20, it would idle on target rpm till it reached full temp and the idle started oscillating and surging. My MTX-l wideband wasn't giving good readings (may have to recal or get a new sensor) so right now I can only guess to why its acting up like this. So I called it a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aC5...ature=youtu.be
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote