View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #51
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Been busy knocking out the new oil pan over the last 2 days. Started off by making a brace to keep the oil pan from warping this time. But, that's not where the leak was on the old pan was, turns out it was leaking from the top of the tube used to access one of the oil pan bolts on the short side of the pan. which would be impossible to fix with out cutting the pan up. Then remeasuring the oil pan flange bolt pattern for later use. I think one of the thing that was giving me trouble last time was I would accidentally bump the the zero button and throw of my measurements without me realizing it.

Next came removing the old oil pan to measure and make a altered copy. This engine support beam might be one of the best tools i keep (didn't get rid of anything actully) from my old career. Without this I would of have to pull the motor and tranns, not something im tring to do outside and with limited tools. Here you can see the modifications to the subframe for the swap. Changed the passenger side rack bracket to have a stud to gain all the clearance I could and removed the front lip on the front of the subframe, welding the seam back together.

Making the new pan I started with the easy section the rear shelf that is cut to clear the subframe and powersteering rack.

Then the tricky bit, which I forgot to take pictures of, the front and rear face to the sump extension. Which tacks a lot of PAD (Posterboard Aided Design) and an Angle finder. Of the changes I'm making I'm made the sump a ~1/4 deeper, lowering the top of the passenger side to give access to bolts, and elongating the front of the sump for my capacity. Even with shorting the passenger side a bit i should gain about ~3/4 of a quart of oil.

One thing I did before starting to attach the sump was weld in some strips for rigidity where I ground away the rolled edge on the pan. The edge had to be removed to make bolts accessable via a wrench in the tight space, and the strips are there to help seal the pan and not warp the shit out of it when if I ever have to remove it.

After 2 full days of work, I almost have a new pan. All thats left to do is to: weld any spots i missed, bungs, leak test, and redesign the baffles.

foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote