View Single Post
Old 06-12-2023, 07:52 AM   #70
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
I think Japanese inefficiency spoiled people. No US wrecker would sell a complete engine, with accessories, and harness and ECU, and transmission for what the Japanese did.

Here, we strip it down to the long block, selling the manifolds, accessories, harnesses, fuel rails, etc all separate. Selling the trans and ECU separate etc.

I suspect, 20 years ago, people would have gladly paid $3,500+ for an SR20. The only issue was l, why do that when you can pay $2k?

Maybe if this shit was more expensive then, people would have value it more and we'd see more of it today.
There used to be an importer in NY I'd go to literally every time I got a new S-chassis in for a swap and it would be $1,900 complete - harness, ECU, transmission, etc. The full boat. This was in 2009 or so? If I got more than one, price would go down. Granted the harnesses had cut ends, a replacement harness wasn't expensive if I didn't want to solder in ends off of the motor I pulled. They had them in troves. SRs, RBs, 2Js, etc. This is what people got because at the time, there was no other mainstream option where it was a plug and play [like what we have with SIKKY/Hooker/FUELED/ISR/XYZwhoevermotorswapcompany swap kits now].

I understand the stock is slowly diminishing but there has to be a certain point you have to be like 'hey, there are better, more modern options for less.' If you're building a 'period correct' car, cool. Whatever. Don't read this comment. For everyone else who has a job and wants to go out there sliding without worrying about throwing rocker arms or needing an immediately turbo upgrade just to keep up, this is for you.

Inflation sucks. Spending more money to have something less powerful/reliable sucks worse.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote