View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #23
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Now your opinion on FWD is like the average driver who was most likely raised on FWD. I.E. mom and dad owned a FWD car. These people learned to drive with these cars and get comfortable with torque steer and how the FWD car drives.

Now if you were raised on all RWD cars, then FWD drive sucks in a lot of ways. Torque steer is annoying and with more HP you get more of it. The only way to combat it is to run a LSD which adds costs to the car.

On top of that in certain driving situations FWD is the absolute enemy because once it goes you don't get it back. In a RWD car you drive out of the situation nearly 99% of the time.
Granted in inclement weather FWD can have its edge but it still has the ghastly demon hanging around.

When I rolled my G20 last summer it would not have happened, if I had been driving a RWD car at the time. Once the rear end stepped out to much and the front went It was ok here we go, no amount of trying to correct through steering input was going to help the situaion, The rear end stepped the front went and caught and into the blue I went. LOL
Trust me I tried my damnest to pull it back. The implicit nature of FWD was not going to help.

In a RWD drive car I would have gassed it corrected and powered out of the situation with my rear wheels taking control.
Oh and I don't recommend you try what I went through to see if it does not happen to you. LOL

And yes it is amazing Mazda still sells Miata's at 22k especially since they have become bigger, uglier and heavier.
It was a incrediable deal at 15k when it first came out. Very reminiscent of the phenomena of the 240Z at 4k. in 1970.

Okay, this is going off topic, but before it goes back onto topic I have to put my two cents in...

Actually I'll agree torque steer can sometimes be a pain in the ass, but in all other aspects you are wrong. If/when you have a FWD and the rear steps out it's actually easier to recover (both at the amateur and professional level), that's why they recommend starting out at FWD then moving up to RWD, then up to MR/4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Precisely what I keep trying to explain to my FWD Honda loving friend. Honda has some nice sporty cars in their lineups, but the inherent nature of FWD will always keep me running away. Thankfully, some drunk asshole totaled his Civic while it was parked and now my friend has a 323is. I keep hoping he will someday learn the glory of RWD and steering by throttle, but he keeps stubbornly hanging on to the retarded idea that FWD is superior and creates superior drivers. At that point, I stop listening.
Have you ever lifted off the throttle while cornering on an Integra Type-R or any other Civic/Integra with a factory rear sway bar? Stock for stock I'd take the Integra over an S13.
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote