View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #58
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Well here we are again and as much as i didn't want to, it was time to tackle this wiring for the 50 millionth time.

Excuse the super crude looking wires and labeling. I'm only using the stock harness to map things out so that I can get everything cut and wired to the correct length prior to building the actual harness that I will be using.

Since I was in a wiring moment, I took time to break out my Wiring Specialties engine harness and start routing it. This thing is nothing short of greatness. I love new things and seeing brand new wires, braided loom, and brand new connectors really appeases my OCD. I have a few different ideas for how I want to actually run this, but for now I need it "installed" so that I can mock up the installation of the ECU.

Going into this I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do as far as mounting the ECU. I hadn't really come across many good solutions, so in the interest of keeping the install clean and somewhat accessible, I decided to mount it using the factory ECU bracket. Thankfully I had one on hand.

First step was to find a reliable way of mounting the ECU to the bracket. Didn't really want to try and fabricate anything since I'm pretty bad at metal work, so I picked up the old industrial strength velcro. This stuff is serious business, it's like $100+ per box. Thankfully I have a hook-up and was able to get a few strips.

Stuck some strips on the bracket and and put the two together. Holds well and I have no doubts that it will securely hold it in place for a long time. Probably going to put some velcro straps around it just for extra security though.

And here it is in it's final mounting position. Turned out well and was very easy. I had originally wanted to run the USB and serial cables to some bulkheads somewhere in the car for easy access, but in the interest of cleanliness I opted to just leave it this way and remove the kick panel whenever access is needed. If the connections were used more frequently I'd consider the bulkheads.

Until next time!