View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
haven't updated in a while. I'll add some pics later, but for now:

Sold the G35 wheels and the RPF1s are now mounted.
17x9 +35 in the front and rear (20mm spacer up front to clear brakes and coils)
Federal 595 RS-RR 255/40r17 on front and rear (3.5* front and 2* rear camber)

Switched to a Koyo dual pass radiator in favor of the mishimoto. summit oil cooler is working well, and I'll be adding a power steering cooler in the next few days in addition to a Turn One power steering pump.

The car is now fitted with an S15 gearset to accompany the HLSD (3.69 final drive ratio).

The 98 LS1 that has been in the car for the last year or so finally shit the bed. Cylinder 3 lost compression and the dipstick started popping out at the track in September. I kept running throughout the day and ended up getting 2nd place for the time attack portion of the day. When I got home and did a compression test I found that number 3 cylinder had 120psi. Pretty substantial loss in comparison to the other 7 cylinders being at 180-190. I had a spare LS6 block that I had been slowly gathering parts for, and with no interest in rebuilding the 98 block, I decided to just "send it".

I went to as many drag meets as I could. Even with the condition of the motor, the car still pulled on new Camaros and mustangs. I raced anyone that I could. the motor lasted about another two weeks before the compression in cylinder 3 finally dropped to about 25-30psi. Pulled the motor out, took off all the parts that would be transferred over to the LS6 block, and sold it off for a measly $240.

Rebuild parts list for the LS6 include:

Federal Mogul cam/main/rod bearings
243 heads with valve job and mild porting
ported TB
TSP H-beam forged rods
Mahle forged pistons and ring set
TSP 228/232 112 LSA camshaft.
Dual valve springs with titanium seats
Chromoly pushrods w/ls7 lifters
Rocker arm trunion upgrade
and some various other goodies to accompany the rebuild.

Shooting for just over 400whp.
more pics to come.

for anyone interested, i post more updates on instagram: @tabbycatlouis
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote