View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #28
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Haven't had any major upgrades or repairs that i can think of, lately. Some small wiring stuff had to get replaced, and the eccentric bolt on my coilovers failed and caused my knuckle to cave in and the tire rubbed on the coilover, so the tire was replaced.
Switched the front pads from Hawk HPS to their Street/Race pad, and, WOW. I know it's not a huge bump in performance but it was very noticable improvement from the previous set. I actually had confidence braking.

Went to Round 3 of the Nissan Challenge at Buttonwillow and ran the 13CW configuration. Couple things that need to happen: an additional oil cooler, a better power steering cooler or proper ducting to it, and I definitely need to run aero! right now the car has no wing and no splitter, and i've been told that if i want to be more competitive in my class then i need aero...

I've got to do some more research, but i'm pretty confident that i could also go bigger on my wheel/tire setup. I think i can run 18x9.5 front with an effective offset of +20 without rubbing on a 265/35r18. I know it wont be an issue in the rear, and i could probably even run a 275/35r18 in the back on the same size wheel.

edit: the RPF1 is available in a 18x9.5 +18 which i could run in the front with no spacer on a 265/35r18. I plan to change to chargespeed +20mm front fenders. I know without a doubt that i can fit a 275/35r18 on a 18x9.5 +38 in the rear. I'll use that with my 20mm spacer up front to determine if i can use the +18 and get rid of my spacer. All of this will be used with either 595RS-RR or Azenis RT-615K.

But that will all have to happen later.

I'll go on about my time at Buttonwillow.

The first couple of sessions were REALLY crowded, at one point there was a line of 9-10 cars stuck behind a couple miatas. the track day was hosted by Speed Ventures and i was in a point-by group with other beginners. My first two sessions did not yield even remotely respectable lap times (2:27/ 2:16)

The traffic on track started to clear up after lunch and session 3 saw me towards the front of the pack for pre-grid, i was able to get a few laps in before i caught back up to traffic and went a best of 2:12, but i was also getting more comfortable with track and my car, getting the driving line, and recognizing braking zones, etc.

The last session of the day there were only 16 cars, so traffic was almost not an issue at all. i was confident in my brakes and didn't get stuck behind anyone for the most part and set my fastest time of the day at 2:06.616.

Here's a quick vid of my PB at the track. I switched my gopro to mount on my helmet so i could see my steering inputs as well.

I'd greatly appreciate any input on technique or if you see anything that could be improved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOsNsqsgPI&t=23s

I'm also having a hell of a time trying to embed this video and i can't fucking figure it out

Last edited by shaggyjake; 04-11-2018 at 08:38 AM..
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote