View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #864
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Am I the only one who never felt the need to initiate through, 'brake' drifting?

Weight transfer, clutch kick, ebrake. All that is needed. No?
Depends man... like, at all those old Drift Day events they used to have in Socal, the tracks were always setup to where you didn't need to slow down for the turns. You just enter from the straight at full throttle, give it a little pitch, and kick the clutch. It gets boring though.

But what do you do when you've got a straight, followed by a hairpin? You could kick the clutch super early, balance the car while it scrubs off speed, and enter the turn. Or you could do a little dance with the e-brake through the straight before entering the turn. But it kind of gets a little old too after doing it for a full day.

You're right, you never really NEED NEED to brake drift.
I just like doing it... it's a matter of preference I think. I like it because at least for me, it's more difficult, and you really feel your car and its setup. You really have to do things the right way or it just won't work. Like, take any car... Pull hard on the ebrake and the rears lock up. That's predictable. It doesn't matter what kind of coilovers you have or changes you made. Cars are going to react relatively the same.

But the way a car reacts to pedal braking will always be different depending on the car and what you did to it. (unless you lock up the brakes). You can really feel your setup and you can feel the changes you made. And technique matters a lot more... how fast you turn the steering wheel, how hard you brake, when you brake...

It's hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean. You can go up to the corner entrance faster.... threshold brake to slow the car, keep some weight on the front, and brake drift it into the turn. Then you can appreciate the hard work you did with setup and polishing your technique. I find this a lot more rewarding, but that's just me.

Kind of feel like I rambled on... o wells

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote