View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #102
69datsun510
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
69datsun510 is making a name for him/her self69datsun510 is making a name for him/her self69datsun510 is making a name for him/her self
R24ONA, The SR20 engine with a cat passing the sniff test and cleaner then the US KA, would still be illegal in CA. The thread was started because of that point. We in CA, can not have a SR20 in are cars because it wasn't offered in the US 240sx. 48 other states have less strict smog requirements, therefore, they can have them in their cars. Japan didn't use the SR20 in the US cars because they didn't want to spend the money to mod it for the US market. They already had the KA passed for the US market in several models. So, us in CA like to blow off some steam about it. The good thing about So. CA is we have plenty of legal places to have drift events, to run insanely moded cars to drag or drift. We just have to trailer the car there cause we can't drive it passed the cops waiting around the corner from the event. Yet the guy with the 67 Mustang with a blown 429, with the radical cam, scavenging lots of unburned fuel to get a clean charge in the cylinders, polluting 10times worse then the sr20det, could drive right by the cops legally. LOL We are trying to mod the 240sx which is not yet 25 years old, in which case you can install any motor legally sold in CA with the required emissions for that year engine. I use the Ka in my 69 Datsun 510's. I have to have the smog emission required under the hood for that year engine, but only if I get popped by a cops and sent to a referee. So, I can fix a few things on the Ka and it would pass. However, a SR20 would need to be swapped out for the Ka to pass. I know of several 510 guys that have SR20det running 400+ whp in their 510's here in CA, but the cops see are car and think nothing about pulling us over cause it's an old Datsun. LOL
P.S.
Spitfire7 described my 510, a total sleeper with a mellow exhaust note, just hearing mean air intake when I step on it, and blowing by the loud obnoxious ricky racer sticking out like a sore thumb. Click link for a pic of my 510.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...un510/car1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ar510swap2.jpg

Last edited by 69datsun510; 05-28-2007 at 11:09 PM..
69datsun510 is offline   Reply With Quote