View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #128
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
E's '95 S14 Build - The true "forever" build

So everything I ordered to complete my brakes has been delivered.

Things to note when rebuilding your calipers to this extent:

If you are replacing the bolts that hold the halves together it can be extremely frustrating. They are a special type of bolt called metric Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) bolts. When talking about these specific bolts JIS standard calls for a 14mm head on an M10x1.25 whereas the standard M10x1.25 has a 17mm head. This is very important since there isn't really any room on the caliper for a 17mm head to fit.

The rear caliper require 65mm bolts and one M10 washer with a small outside diameter (OD). This is a size that's readily available. The part info for the bolts I used is pictured below.

The front calls for 75mm bolts for the 30mm calipers, but I could not find that length anywhere. I decided that I would buy the 80 mm bolts and cut them down to 75mm if they were too long. They ended up fitting perfectly with one M10 small OD washer and there was still a little thread in the caliper to spare.

Here are the washers that I used. They fit perfectly in the washer grooves on the calipers. I got these at Home Depot.

For the front calipers I ended up getting the seal kit from Z1 Motorsports since it comes with the little o-rings that go in between the caliper halves. The rear seal kit is usually considerably harder to find but I ended up getting a Centric seal kit from Rock Auto. To my surprise, the Centric kit also came with the o-rings for the rear halves as well. I have NEVER seen this happen so here here is the part info for that seal kit. Make sure you buy two, each kit is for a single caliper.

I ended up torquing the bolts on the front calipers to 55ft•lb and did 45ft•lb on the rears since they're aluminum.

I won't go through seal replacement since that is pretty basic, but here is the final product. I think it turned out really well, it's exactly what I pictured in my head.