View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #140
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
In my quest to keep rust to a minimum, I had the rotors powder coated as well. I think it turned out nice, but if I did everything over again I'd probably buy boated rotors.

I got everything bolted up and realized that there was a problem. The calipers were rubbing the rotors for some reason.

I wanted a glamour shot so I took this pic prior to troubleshooting the brake issues.

After a ton of wasted time, I figured out that there weren't any problems with my parts, the GKtech front knuckles are warped. I measured it and the distance between the mounting points and the rotor differ by about 2mm. I have confirmed that the knuckles were most likely taken out of the jig too early and have warped.

Marks where powder coat was damaged.

Here is where I spaced the caliper with a washer in the area that I thought was a problem. This allowed the rotor to move a bit more freely and operate more like it should. After speaking with GKtech, they said that a spacer usually solves the problem (this is a known issue with some knuckles). This is NOT a viable solution to me for paying for a product and receiving something defective. I am still waiting for further communication on their part to determine the next course of action. Their customer service has always been top notch so I don't think there will be any problems.

The rear GKtech knuckles haven't posed any problems yet, so after trimming the brake shield I was able to get everything put together.