View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #38
canadians14sr20det

Trader Rating: (0)
canadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nicecanadians14sr20det is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucal View Post
You all realize that these transmissions right out of the box are extremely loud right?

Go on a 350z forum and you will see plenty of complaints about how loud they are and that is in a car that has much better sound deadening than our cars. I have about 3,500 miles on my setup and am making 400whp and the trans is perfectly fine, and loud as hell.

I wouldn't worry and go ahead and enjoy the car.

Lou
This isn't just this car being loud, trust me. This is some sort of resonance that vibrates the entire chassis, feels like the car is gonna come apart. Also the fact it happens at one part of the rev range is concerning. Resonances like that can be highly destructive.

Quote:
Could you explain to me how you did this please? It might help my cousin dealing with a similar vibration on a different car.
Get a vibration measuring app for your phone. I used "Vibrations" on a samsung s6 edge. It uses the accelerometer and microphone to figure out the mechanical and audio vibration. It's pretty accurate surprisingly. I just set my phone on the valve cover and opened the throttle to 4000rpm. Then you can convert the vibration from Hz to rpm by doing this:

http://www.kylesconverter.com/freque...ons-per-minute

If you get a Hz reading of say 134, you know the vibration is occuring at 8000RPM or twice every crank rotation if your are revving the motor to 4000RPM and holding it there. Generally, if it happens in the first order, look at your rotating assembly (flywheel, crank, pistons/rods and balancer). If it happens at the half order (or less) look at your valvetrain. If it happens at the second order good luck, it can be a ton of things. Read up on vibration analysis in machinery for more on this. Hope that helps!

Quote:
If clutch pedal is pressed in with the car stationary, doesn't that mean nothing is moving in the trans?
If the clutch pedal is pushed in with the car in gear it means nothing is moving in the trans. If the pedal is pushed in but the transmission is in neutral drag on the clutch disk and input shaft snub will still rotate the transmission a bit, but not a lot.
canadians14sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote