View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmyers View Post
Thanks for the input. I could obviously write more about what I did to diagnose the issue but I'm not trying to write a novel for each post on zilvia. When I replaced the fuel pump the start-up idle/warm idle were exactly where you said they should be, 1000 cold and 750 warm. I do realize that the car idles high to warm up and then lower once it has had a chance to warm up. I guess I just wasn't clear about that in my OP. My fault.

I based my diagnosis off of what I've read on here and a friend of mine who had the exact same issue. I brought up the ECU because his problem turned out to be a faulty ECU, which he replaced. I didn't check the fuel pressure before I replaced it which obviously wasn't a good idea based on what you're saying. I replaced it based on the fact that it would only prime 50% of the time, unless it hit it. After hitting it, the fuel pump would work as if it were new. THIS is why I replaced the pump. Now, I realize this probably isn't the best way to diagnose the issue but from what I read on here and what other 240 people were telling me, the fuel pump was on it's way out, which is why I started off by replacing it.
Forget what jackasses on forums say. Don't throw parts at a car until you can PROVE what's wrong with it. Every once in a while you'll have to take a shot in the dark, but 99% of the time you can prove it. You NEED to make very thorough posts to get any sort of useful diagnostic help. Vague posts end up with jackasses spouting "throw this at it" or "throw that at it" " a friend of a friend's car had a somewhat similar issue in that caused it". You NEED to be specific. Diagnosing cars over the internet is almost impossible, I have no clue why that idea is so hard to grasp for a lot of folks...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote