View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #36
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Ca18det?
parts getting pretty hard to locate for those ca18
Considering I am going to swapping the coil packs for Vortec coils and deleting the ignitor, most parts are pretty easy to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
The CA18DET with it's iron block is only about 20-40 lbs full dressed (between the two) lighter than the all aluminum SR20DET. Not only is the CA a fair bit older, it also lacks .2 liters of displacement. I would give up 20-40lbs for the displacement as a well balanced car is not simply about weight, but tractable, usable/streetable power.

If you buy any CA, expect to rebuild before swapping it into the car (more $$$$). I understand the thought process, but looking at the big picture (in terms of "balance" and more practical) I would stay away from the CA. In addition, although the US market received a NA version, parts for this engine are fairly scarce, so best not have any issue (which will more than likely be the case).

In the long run, although it is very vanilla running the SR just makes sense (parts are available, more displacement, etc). There is a reason (or many reasons) you do not see many CA18DETs running around.
Trust me, I have considered the SR quite a bit. I actually had almost a full SR in my garage not to long ago. The CA is old, but that does not mean they aren't great motors. It will be compression tested and resealed, maybe rebuilt if need be, but in stock form they can hold 350rwhp without issue so I think it will suit my needs just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
If this is a "grip" build then put real shocks on it.
In time, I just got it back on the road and it REALLY needs some new coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero983 View Post
I loved this thread before, but the CA18 makes me love it even more. Keep up the good work dude!!!!
Thanks man, glad everyone doesn't absolutely despise the CA
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote