View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #6401
marks14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
marks14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink Industries View Post
In my ignorance, I neglected the fact that the Strut tube defines the slider axis, which defines the roll center & the camber curb of the mc strut suspension.
This is 100% incorrect. it only defines camber curve. I have actual suspension engineers from actual auto manufactures telling me this is incorrect. Im pretty sure they know what they are talking about. RC is drawn out 90 degrees from SAI not strut axis.
I'm not trying to say you are wrong in any way, I'm just trying to get some clarification.

When looking at the front view swing arm geometry the instant center is defined where a projected line from the LCA intersects an imaginary line drawn 90 degrees from the strut axis. This effects the camber curve like you said. To find the roll center you project lines from the ICs to the middle of the contact patch of each of the tires. Where those two lines intersect is the roll center.

So I was under the impression that changing the slider axis -> changes IC -> changes RC

Do you have a written source that defines the RC as 90 degrees from the SAI? Or am I interpreting my suspension kinematics books incorrectly?
marks14 is offline   Reply With Quote