View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #44
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
That has a lot to do with spring perch placement, spring rate, and spring length.

Assuming we're using stock strut housings, people tend to weld the perch closer to the ears to achieve the lowest ride height possible.

Sure, maybe it'll be okay to mount the top mounting components (spring hat, camber plates, etc.) but people forget that the have to consider that there is a external bumpstop, the springs compress a bit when the car is on the ground, and the strut has a job when driving. Before you know it, you've already have eaten up a good amount of travel.

That being said there are ways to combat this: custom housings or cutting and extending the portion below the ears.

With custom housings, however, you may as well just get 86XX's.
I see. The idea of doing all of the work to get the Konis into the housings is a bit worrisome to begin with, so the cutting and extending portion adds to the intimidation factor. Upgrading to custom housings would push the setup above $1K, as would going with 86XXs, so my question is, would it be alright to go with, say, a set of the Fortune Auto 500 series and call it a day? They are a little over $1K, but are simply a bolt-on affair. I've heard that radial bearings are a really good upgrade though. Those only go on the front coilovers, right?
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote