View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #170
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
It's something that I struggle with when I meet other S chassis owners. They are all a means to an end, in some regard. But what varies is that particular end that people have in mind.
I think as someone who joined the s-chassis game in 2008 after initially making my account in 2004 toying with the idea of buying an s chassis. Once I finally got one I was met with vitriol, during my time participating on these forums I got shit on a daily basis from stance kids, aero kids, bhworld worshipers, and the cool kids who were on ziptied.

look at the shell of a place that became once they all became irrelevant.

I eventually found my niche, my people and have made awesome friendships because of this car.

Quote:
I struggle when I meet S chassis owners who car less about the car, and more what they do with it.
There are many people who just enjoy cars and modding them, it doesn't matter if they're quality mods, cool mods. Some people shoot for magazine features, now that magazines don't exist and people rarely read speedhunters or their competition.

having any kind of 90's-00's import has gone back to being a grassroots thing.

the fact this forum still somehow exists, we'll see how much knowledge can be shared. But also how ignorant we once were.

I met a guy the other day at this local meet, brought his s13 out, didn't talk to a single soul. Another s13 shows up, sounds modded, matte black. I go and chat him up and ask about his car. 650hp 2j under the hood. Guy is a mechanic and he was just talking about making it faster.

Had his kids with him, all were telling me about their dreams to own supra's integra type r's. In the back of my mind I'm like good luck, but encouraging to hear.

And to think people like us are the ones at the gate welcoming broke kids with dreams to own a 90's shitbucket and make it their own, in a world where you can't even get replacement oem parts.

It's hard these days for me to have a chip on my shoulder about this car.

I took the s14 out to Arizona back in 2020 with some friends and drove around town. People acted like the avengers showed up. My girlfriend didn't really see what was so significant about my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkaXjrOfsLo

Every gas station we stopped at to get gas at, someone sparked up a conversation, every place we stopped the same.

10 years ago if a group of kids were around my car I would've thrown a fit and told them to fuck off. The other day I found some kids hanging out by my car and they wanted to ask me all of these questions about it with enthusiasm.

They were just so excited to see one in the wild.

I've taken these opportunities to just tell people anything they want to hear about the car to the best of my knowledge. People even get a little too technical asking me what my final drive is and what it's like having a 2 way instead of a 1.5 for street driving.

My point is, I'm past gatekeeping, because we're at a point where the price of entry is premium, the amount of support is at a premium, and the risk of the 240sx becoming a forgotten relic not worth the price of admission with so many better options available.

I have nothing but respect for anyone who chooses this path.