View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #171
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
I agree with what you said, but just to clarify I wasn't really speaking about people who buy cheaper parts or whatever is trendy, but more to how they view and treat the car. Most of the 240 friends I have, all have that emotional side that keeps them coming back to the cars. The flip side is owners I've met who don't have any of that emotional relationship with it. I'm generalizing here (not just in this post, but the last few that I've discussed my thoughts on ownership), but I feel like when you boil down a lot of the grey areas on the spectrum, its usually just a few different categories of owners.

Here's an example that happened to me a few years ago..

I work in a bodyshop, and one day we had a painter come in to sub for our normal painter who was either sick or on vacation. We got chatting, and come to find out he's had a few s13's and currently owns an s14. The more we talk, the more I realize him and I don't see eye to eye on it. We got into it for different reasons. When I bought my first car, it was a 300 dollar car that no one wanted, long before they were popular to the level they are now (a few years before I joined Zilvia). He purchased his because it's popular, because it'll get him attention, because it'll look good for him and his business. None of these reasons are bad ones, just not the same for me. I got into it because I fell in love with Japan and their culture, and these cars have such a presence over there it sucked me in.

Recently I saw the car at a show, wrapped in vinyl, v8 swapped, built to look like a track car, but it's not. It fits his means to his end, again - nothing wrong with that. It's just something I don't identify with. For me these cars are more than the sum of their parts, to me it's what they represent that is important to me.

I know I'm waxing poetic about something a bit silly, and none of this is fact, just how I feel about things sometimes.