View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #52
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to techn9ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Yo I can't believe you're still up!

There's some great info in this thread.

So my spare car's a '91 S13 with an OBD2 KA in it... as long as the engine passes the sniffer test and visual, they're not going to try and plug anything into it to read codes? Basically, I can just pull the CEL bulb and be straight? What about at the ref?

Also, girlfriend's car is an out-of-state model... can I buy a 49-state cat off the 'net to pass smog here, or do I need a special CA 'absorber' cat? Where should I go to get one? She's got 100k on a 2001 Sentra and it threw a code, mechanic she took it to said replace cat and o2's?
on your s13, no, theyre not gonna plug the smog machine into the ecu. as long as it passes the visual check engine light test (aka the check engine light is unlit) and it passes the normal visual and sniffer test, you should be cool. i dunno about the ref though, those guys are crazy.

out of state model cars are only required to pass the federal emissions test, which usually is just lest strict. its still the same test however, just the limits are a little bit higher. im guessing the code was "catalyst threshhold below efficiency" or some shit like that? that code usually goes off when the difference in the front 02 and the rear 02 is not what the ecu sees. so it could be just the cat, or just the 02 sensors. or both.
techn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote