View Single Post
Old 10-18-2023, 04:00 PM   #3
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
What does the Zilvia peanut gallery think of incredibly expensive versions of relatively plebian cars?
Mostly pretty "meh," just because they aren't any of the ones listed below haha

Quote:
What car is on your personal "let's make a restomod!" list?
Pretty short list:
AE86
190e Evo 2

Quote:
What value do you place on quality of production?
"Street-focused" in my head falls between track and show, so I'd say as long as there are no booger welds or tesla-spec panel fitment and there are some exotic materials sprinkled about it'd be just fine.

Quote:
What value do you place on ability to customize a build to your exact liking?
Not super high, assuming any typical quirks have been remedied and there is a decent amount of adjustability our of the box.

Quote:
Is the value of a restomod primarily dependent on cultural value and/or continuation of a well-known vehicle's history?
Vehicles that have had a notable impact on motorsports have more value to me (510 - SCCA king, AE86 - touge legend, 190e - touring car icon), but I could see cultural icons like a DB5, Delorean, GT500, Mini Cooper, and Beetle being equally worthy of a restomod in the eyes of less motorsport-focused individuals.

Quote:
What do you think about restomods and performance increases?
Everything in balance.

Quote:
Do you believe the power has to be silly to be worthwhile?
Same as above, but also it's gotta suit the car. In a restomod Charger, 900hp makes sense, but not so much in a restomod AE86. I imagine a built L28, 7ag, or m102, maybe with an option for a smidge of forced induction (like 10lbs max), would be plenty.

Quote:
Interested to hear what Zilvia has to say; a lot of you are either in the automotive industry or have been working with cars for decades, so there are bound to be jaded answers and criticism, both of which I'm looking forward to.
With more and more bland, soulless, auto-pilot, people-haulers becoming the norm I can definitely see the market for restomods growing.

My main concern would part availability and serviceability down the road. Will the company still be around and able to make replacement parts in 20 years? Or are there enough similarities between it and the production model that high-wear items can be replaced with oe or aftermarket?