View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #29
economix
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
I purchased a 1994 180SX from Japanese Classics last year... I'm 50/50 on how I feel. I did get the price I wanted, however, upon picking it up and getting to inspect it, I could tell it was damaged at one point (likely in a light accident).

The exhaust was pushed up into the lower body and had impact damage.
The pinch welds where you lift the vehicle were beat hard af - not uncommon imho however.
The rear end is either welded or the subframe has some wonkiness to it - I haven't had a chance to really get into that but plan to with a NISMO LSD that I have.
Motor mounts were junk (replaced w Polys)

Other things that bothered me was that it had some home made exhaust on the car. So they advertised an HKS exhaust but it was juuuust the muffler and the pipe itself was carbon steel and pretty much homemade or from 'other' vehicles.

Japanese Classics claims that Virginia State Police 'inspect' the car prior to sales. If this was the case, they did a SHIT ASS JOB. That exhaust mentioned above had just 1 hanger holding it up...and it was an OPEN ENDED TURNBUCKLE (WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK!?!?)

You can see some of the build in my profile...been a while since I updated it and will do so sometime soon.

When dealing with Japanese Classics, I recommend a few things...

1. Ask for more underbody pictures then what they show
2. Give them a price and stick to your guns...they don't wan tot negotiate and I can understand because they flip these constantly so they perceivable have the upperhand. If you obtain your own financing first, this helps with leverage - I got mine Out the door lower than what they were asking for so I was somewhat pleased.
3. Make sure everything is as you expect it and if not, ask them to fix it or bounce. They're not the only ones selling JDM cars.

Now, all that said, I fucking LOVE my car, but I've also put around $18K into it since then, so I've doubled down on my build basically although many of the things I disliked are still present like the pinch welds and exhaust damage - I did swap exhausts but the 'impression' to the underside is still there (oh well).

Lots more work to do for me, but otherwise, i really enjoy it. Shop around some if you're worried, again, they ain't the only ones in the game

All the best, everyone.