View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #80
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
It's not, but you are missing several key points.

Preface: my family is from Taiwan, half of my heritage is intimately tied to the Chinese Civil War.

What you are conveniently leaving out is the history prior to the 17th Century, the period from 1945-1949, as well as the current government and status quo.

You also leave out the reason why the ROC was allowed to survive post-1949, which was the outbreak of the Korean War and the subsequent deployment of the US 7th Fleet to prevent China from invading Taiwan. At the same time, it also made the split permanent.

I can type a lot more about this but the background and stories are NOT parallel to what is going on in Palestine. Taiwan is made up of 3 large groups of people: aborigines, "Taiwanese" circa 1600s to 1895 (and their descendents), and "mainlanders" circa 1945-1950.

With regards to land claim, you conveniently left out the Treaty of San Francisco of 1951 in which Japan renounces its rights post-1901 for Taiwan/Korea/Hong Kong/etc. As for who the legitimate government of China is (covering the periods during which Taiwan was inhabited), it would be Ming Dynasty > Ching Dynasty > Republic of China (1911-1949) > People's Republic of China (1950-)

Taiwan did not become "a separate country following the Chinese Civil War" as so many people seem to think. It simply became the home of what is left of the Republic of China.

Keep filling in the blanks via Wikipedia, it's not as simple as you make it out to be.
I'm aware of all of this shaving studied the CCP 15 years ago. Your argument, that Taiwan, theainland and CCP have a complicated history in the 20th century doesn't change anything. The same is true for the middle east.

The end result is China (CCP) claims all historical regions are still part of China (CCP) and all "Chinese People" still belong to China.

Pretty much the same argument that Adolf Hitler and thr Nazis made - all German People and previous German territory belong to Germany.

This again mimicks the Palestinian claim that all once Arab/Islamic land is now always Arab/Islamic.

So do you belive the Intel that suggests China will try to retake Taiwan this decade?

Will it be Germany taking the Sudetenland or will it be the Invasion of Poland?

China also, long term, wants to take all of Asia with Indochina next on the list (Vietnam).
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote