View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #23213
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag0n View Post
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to car stuff. I have a S13 that was passed down to me. It's in relatively good condition but needs tires, brakes, rotors, calipers, and all new fluids

Brake pads and rotors are arriving today, but I've run into a couple issues with the calipers:

1 - Almost every single caliper bolt has broken during removal. They've been super hard to remove. Any advice to make this a bit easier?
2 - The bigger easier here is that so far I've had at least 1 caliper bracket bolt break off inside the right hand rear knuckle. How screwed am I?

From what I've looked up I've figured that I need to remove the entire knuckle and try to extract the bolt, or replace the entire knuckle.

Does this sound pretty spot on?

Thanks!
Is it very rusty?

If the heads are okay but they all break, someone might have used crazy locktite or something - heat from a torch will loosen threadlocker, but overdoing it will destroy the heat treating in your fasteners. Even really overdoing it with the blue stuff can be a problem, especially if the metal was prepped well. (that said, the "permanent/requires heat" thing is pretty much bullshit, at least for the red permatex, which is the brand and color of choice where I live - a dab will do ya, and will also come off when you want it to)

Are the threads that came out covered in colored stuff? Red/yellow/blue/grey chunky stuff? If so, apply heat before doing the rest, and before extracting.

Generally red is meant to be pretty tough, yellow/blue are medium, and green is very weak (or sleeve locker, which is basically unremovable)

Caliper bracket bolts should be installed with a dab of locktite - the pin/guide bolts should NOT.

Sounds like you've got the right idea - you'll probably have to take the knuckle off, drill out the middle of the bolt, and use an extractor to get out whatever's left.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote