View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #658
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc240 View Post
Should my motor build boost, if any of the gaskets around the turbo area are leaking, or torn. I.E. - turbo inlet, exhaust mani, turbo elbow gasket, etc???

I think I have a huge exhaust leak coming from the turbo area, but I build 8lbs. of boost normal.
If the leak is after the turbine (turbine to o2 housing, or o2 housing to downpipe), you'll be able to still build boost normally. If the leak is prior to the turbine (exhaust manifold, or turbine to manifold), it will cause you to boost more sluggishly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LUV MY S13 View Post
i just realized that i didnt put the dizzy in any specific order

Ive been researching and couldnt find much on how to properly set the timing with the dizzy..so far what i got is put the motor on TDC(second marking on crank pulley), put the dizzy spindle as "a backwards D", and just install the dizzy and oil pump

anything wrong or missing?
Hmmm, I am a bit confused by that. The second mark on the crank pulley is the base timing mark (0* I think). I don't recall if it indicates TDC (it has been over a year since I had to do mine). Here is what I did:

With timing light on the crank pulley and the spark pickup on the number one wire, I checked where it was firing in relation to the timing mark. It was off so I rotated the distributor to bring it back in. It was off more than that so I pulled the distributor rotated it like one tooth in the direction I needed and then checked the timing. Using the timing light, I saw it was closer, so I rotated the distributor and got it to where I wanted. (Repeated this process a few times)

It was a bit confusing at the time, but it started to make sense. Without a timing light, it is going to be quite hard to determine when your engine is getting spark.

I think your other option is to align the timing marks on the timing chain and then reset the distributor. You would still need a timing light to bring it into spec.