View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligoodn View Post
Q45/Z32TT use the Rzeppa or ball in cage style (same thing).

J30's only used the ball and cage style for '93 and early '94 year cars, and then late model '94 and up cars shifted back to a tripod style.
Interesting. How did you find out that the J30 switched axle types? My previous setup was the NA Z32 VLSD w/ J30 (Rzeppa-style) axles. With the S15 HLSD setup I picked up, I found 3 different output flanges can fit: the common 3-star (3x2) using 8mm hardware, 5-star (10mm hardware), and 6-star (10mm hardware). All of these are 30-spline shafts which are needed with the HLSD.

When I spec'ed the output shafts, I did not see a difference in diameter between the 29-spline and 30-spline shafts, so I do not think the 30-spline shafts are stronger in any way, just different. I figure anyone putting down big power needs to go with the R230 diff, axle and hub setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heychris View Post
Do the j30 axles fit the s14 track...
This is elementary in the community. The J30 axles fit all S-chassis, as long as you have the 5-star flanges on your diff (ie: NA Z32 R200V VLSD).

Note: I believe a 5-star flange exists that uses 8mm hardware. From what I've gathered, its a complete toss-up which output flanges NISSAN decided to use over the years; either the 3-star (3x2) or the 5-star, both using 8mm fasteners.

edit: I've attached a photo, hopefully this is correct and useful for the n00bs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shafts.jpg (54.9 KB, 251 views)
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote