Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #46
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
sentradude is an unknown quantity at this point
S13 Intermittent Starting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboflan View Post
yes that'll do it but not always the case. You have to use top down problem solving determination. Just like computers. RAM, Problem determination. I saw a flowchart from engine electrical diagnosis epiphany right now. lol. Kids these days. I wanna Ls1 ,rawr. I want to drift! and be like my heroes. But dont' now squat about simple analog electrical. We arent talking firmware or Canbus. Reading this thread theres alot of bad troubleshooting. Yes the relays go out....why? because it's not SSR solid state relays. Look up vishay and other semiconductor website. The things can be switched on 100k times before failure. MTBF. But mechanized relays die because coils in there get struck with arc of electromagnetism.

Actually, I added a whole new relay, originally this was auto to manual swap so no relay to begin with like blue one pictured above in manual models , it's a straight shot from the battery through the ignition to the starter solenoid. I Started with checking the starter wiring which always showed 12v when key was turned, replaced starter, cleaned/replaced grounds and power wires, on to the ignition and ignition switch and installing a whole new ignition and lastly when all failed, wired in a relay and it fixed the issue. How's that bad troubleshooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sentradude is offline   Reply With Quote