View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #237
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
Yet again, Another UPdate about the rear!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Keep your Z32 E-brake while upgrading to STI calipers.
REAR SOLUTION FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a functional E-brake from the Z32, this is so simple!!!, and using
the STI rear caliper all you need is, did I say simple?,
the Z32 rotor and the STI calpier fits like a charm.
After I installed the Z32 setup today, thanks to SPLPARTS, I had a little thought.
the Evo rotor diam is 300mm which allows a perfect fit of the STI capliper with the OE mounting points.
the Stock STI rotor width is 20mm.
Now the Z32 rotor is 297mmx18mm. That is 3mm less in total diam and 2mm
less wide.
I mounted the STI caliper onto a complete Z32 rear conversion and what do you know, It fits PERFECTLY! no need for a spacer for the mounting holes.
The pad covers the rotors surface perfectly and centers perfectly. The shop I work with, the one that built my brackets seen in previous posts, confirmed that as long as I keep an eye on the pad width The 1mm per side difference is not an issue at all! The resident engineer did some calculation about some stuff I fail to understand and said It will work no problem as long as I pay attention to the rear pad width or just get 1mm thicker pads to start with.
Now that I found a working solution which keeps the e-brake from the Z32 and uses the Z32 rotor, I just need to get new pads and some braided rear lines and voila! a complete STI caliper conversion with front evo rotors+pads and Z32 rear rotor with a functional E-brake. It will be a couple of weeks until I get some more time to change the setup yet again but the result is worth the wait. Since braking already improved greatly with the rear Z32 assembly I believe it will even be better with the STI caliper just because it is a little bit larger and matches the front STI caliper. Did the calculations and it should be better but tests will be performed to verify. G|ot the GPS to measure distances and will also get a g-meter just for the sake of it.
Sorry for the long post but thought you should know.

Sorry for the bad pic, cell phone and it got dark.

Last edited by JohnC; 04-19-2007 at 07:26 PM..
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote