View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #39
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
As for marking it for alignment, FUCK THAT. It doesn't make a damn difference in the world. The axles are NOT externally balanced after assembly like a driveshaft.
I figure maybe they are matched my how they are machined, possibly. Or maybe how they slowly wear together, but I just did not care to do all that. My hands (gloves) were lathered in grease and I was very much past finessing everything. Plus, I accidentally serviced the INNER CV first. After not being able to disassemble the outer CV, I had to disassemble the inner CV again, unpack the Redline grease, etc... it was a big pain.

My Lexus SC FSM says the same thing about marking the axles to the diff, or the driveshaft to the flange, etc... but I never found it to ever make a difference.

Anyway, this was my first time servicing axles. I enjoyed learning about the differences in axle construction, but the job is messy. In case anyone is wondering, parts costs is around $130-150 (using OEM boots). I'm kinda surprised at how little servicing axles has been discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
The large clips are supposed to go on the inside of the tripod CV's to retain the "balls" into the cups. The small clips are the clips that go inside the outer CV's that you gave up on removing.
FYI, my J30 axles did not have those. I did not see any machined provision for the larger rings so I just did not use them. Aaron, you dont have any photos of where they go, do you?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote