View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #64
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Wtf are you talking about??? Tomei USA has only been in existence a few years. Before that, they were literally outside sales people for Tomei Japan. Tomei USA absolutely has control of where they source goods from, and they decided on their own, to have an outside factory start making “tomei” products, and selling them to the American market.

ONCE AGAIN SINCE NO ONE CAN READ.

THIS ISNT A JAPAN VS USA ARGUMENT.

THIS IS A TOMEI USA SOLD PRODUCT TO CUSTOMERS WHO THOUGHT THEY WERE GETTING AUTHENTIC TOMEI JAPAN PRODUCTS, BUT WERE INFACT GETTING UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCT NOT MADE BY TOMEI JAPAN.
Wow, I really think you need to re-read what I wrote.

When I said “they” I mean all the dealers. The only entity that cares is Tomei USA, and they turned their autonomy into “sourcing our own products and selling under the same brand name”

Your post illustrates my point and the fundamental problem: where are the goods imported from? People got so stuck on a brand that they didn’t even realize the logo changed long before they swapped out part numbers.

“Tomei” is just a name of a highway between Tokyo and Nagoya, and Tomei Powered Inc screwed themselves by not properly protecting their IP and brand. Tomei USA as a company has never changed hands since the mid-2000s (look it up, it’s on the California Corporation search website), it’s the owners of the US operation that changed how they sourced products.

The true unknown is whether Japan granted US full authority to source their own parts with royalty or profit sharing to Japan. All this reminds me of the split between Phase2Motortrend and Circuit Sports, they both carry the same parts now sourced from the same suppliers under two different brands. Tomei does the same thing except the split is across an ocean.

I know the players. I know who supplies them. I know the suppliers are told they are supplying two locations of the same company. I know a lot more about this than I wish to know, and I ultimately know that for dealers in the US, all they see is a brand, certain sales and profit margin per year, and that’s all they care. By taking the moral high ground and yanking a brand, it could be worth upwards of $1,000,000 a year of sales at 30+% margin for the top dealers in the US. I’m sure that’s an easy business decision to make.

Anyhow, don’t be blinded by a brand, that’s all I will end with. That’s what consumers are hung up on.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote