View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #32
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc.zenit View Post

But I like to believe that I simply haven't found the pot of gold yet.

Does anyone know a place where I can find more car related parts?
youre never going to find a 'pot of gold' because people realize they can make money instead of put something on thingiverse for free. i do realize there is some cool stuff on there; although, most of the stuff that takes time and effort, the creator is going to want money for it (rightfully so).

i understand this thread is a couple of years old. but most of today's consumer 3d printers print PLA (polylactic acid). while its great for rapid prototyping it does not hold up to the heat (long term) that interiors see. i dont remember off the top of my head, but i dont think its UV resistant either. another deal breaker.

i can also tell you it will die a swift death if you try to put it in your engine bay. learned that mistake pretty quickly.

ive drawn various things and put them in my buddies tuck (for science) to see how long the PLA will last. the shift knob we did has only been in his truck for a month and the shape is already starting to deform. we havent even hit peak summer yet, and i live in the foothills where it doesnt usually get over 95-98.

id really like to try ABS, but it produces toxic fumes when you print. PETG is another great material for the right application but from what i gather, it would be best to have a dedicated PETG printer (based on how you have to set it to print the material). there is also polycarbonate and nylon that may work.

ive only done this for a couple of months, so im somewhat new to it (but not CAD or designing stuff in general). sub'd.

edit:
not car related but here is an ear pro clip i rapid proto'd. thought i would share. if you guys made anything you should post it. im doing a bumper bracket right now.

sorry the pics are so big. flickr sucks hard and for whatever reason, makes it incredibly hard to get the .jpg extensions on a phone.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote