View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by economix View Post
If you're just looking to save $$$ and still have some options, JNC, Adohan, and Square all have decent stuff... weight is usually high and IDK anything about their load ratings or general strength, but they have some good bang for your buck and nice options. I won't knock them because they're affordable or 'just not TEs'.

Personally, I would go with a higher quality used set from a reputable dealer like www.threepiece.us. I literally just ordered some BBS RS (16 x 10 -15, $2,700 out the door) this past weekend from them because I was irritated with all the affordable options lacking in some area.
I agree, but I feel like wheels are getting insane for used (well used), old 3 piece wheels. At some point it just doesn't make sense. I mean, I can shell out, again - I am not arguing against natural inflation. I just feel like, for the sport that 99% of us do, and for those of us that still prefer to have real brands the market is becoming hard to justify or with a hole where there isn't really a sweet spot. I don't mind paying up for wheels and parts, but for 20 year old wheels that have been driven 1000000 miles, probably beat on (I get we can swap barrels and all, but just humor me here), that now cost +1000 what they did new? Seems stupid. There is a hole in the market IMO. Reps should be sub $1k IMO, but there is a middle market there to support as well that most wheel companies seem to be overlooking. I spoke to Heritage yesterday after starting this thread, and apparently most people that order wheels are generally FWD guys, so that explains why we see less and less RWD offset makeups in the range. Makes sense, RWD got walloped in the 00s, and our cars are getting harder to find and, IMO, the sport is dying thanks to many factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
I'm trying to think of a time when hotboi wheels were affordable. I remember expensive wheels you had to save for, and then the rest of us ran rotas, fn's, rpf's, and MB's. Was there ever a time of sub 2k wheels that were popular? Rays introduced the 57 line in the early 2000's, and some guys rocked them, but not a ton of people. XT7, XD9, and CR Kai's were big, but then everyone was using them..and no one wants to rock the wheel that everyone else has (talking about cheap wheels).
I suppose hotboi is a subjective term, but what I meant was popular real / "original" wheels. Not straight up rep brands that made stuff cheaply and look... well, cheap.

In my mind, just from some of the wheels mentioned here so far... Apologies in advance for usage of the word hotboi, I used it ironically for the title but feel like I am fully committed to using it now for the descriptions. Haha.

Beginner Hotboi:

- MB Battle (CST Zero 1). Cheap, cast, but iconic design and a mold from Japan, with permission from CST. That's cool. $600 new (at the time)

- Hot Wheels Sixty Eight. Sure, this one is arguable, but it was awesome sized during that ~00 - 10 blooming era, and DIRT cheap (I think like $500 new?).

- 5Zigen FN01r-c. At the time... these were like $900 new? Somewhere around that IIRC.

Etc.

Mid Level Hotboi (mainly 1 piece, 1k- 2k range):

- JIC J-Force 07. Usually between 1k - 1.3k, like this one was.

- Work XT7. Here is our very own advertiser, ACE UP MOTORSPORTS, with a pair shipped for $2k 7 years ago.

- Even the 5Zigen Pro Racer GR+ was $900 Shipped

Etc.

Best Hotboi wheels:

Meister, Professor, Blitz 03, Kranze, etc.

These have always been in that $2k - 3.5k Range... WHEN NEW.

So yeah, IMO within the last decade - we have had plenty of "hotboi" wheels within an affordable range. Again, this isn't dissing 3 piece and 2k-3k wheels. Been there / am there. But there is still a glaring hole for our sizes in current, new markups, in the 600 - 2000 range. That's a wide range and market.