View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #27
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
EDIT: https://www.carbynewheels.com/collections/sprints - these I always felt like were pretty "inspired" by the FN01r-C, but they don't have 17x10. Their sizing is pretty good though, and wheels super cheap if you are just after a similar look and can do 18s.
Those I think are based on Gramlights 57c. Not sure how I feel about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
I wouldn't say Square, Heritage, Kansei, Cosmis, or Stage are particularly innovative. Most of them are using ripped off designs, which I suppose isn't all that uncommon within the JDM wheel world, but still - not a way I'd want to make a name for myself...

Honestly, SSR seems to be the only company continually putting out cool new designs while everyone else is rehashing 30 year old designs to sell at a premium to nostalgic 90's a e s t h e t i c goobers (though they have been doing a bit of the reboot thing as well). Rays has just been coasting on the success of the te37 for 20 years lol
If you mean "ripped off" by having concave faces and the same number of spokes, I guess so.
I wouldn't say any wheel companies are really "innovating" besides Rays, as they actually put cool new tech in their wheels. ZE40, TE037, 21C, 57DR, are all newer designs that are lighter, stronger, and have improved features like knurled tire contacts that improve function. Not to mention they keep improving the TE37; they're not just stamping out new ones of the same 20 year old design.
Also, Advan actually comes out with new designs on the regular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by economix View Post
JNC, Adohan,
Exactly what most enthusiasts are trying to avoid: Copy paste companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
I'm trying to think of a time when hotboi wheels were affordable. I remember expensive wheels you had to save for, and then the rest of us ran rotas, fn's, rpf's, and MB's. Was there ever a time of sub 2k wheels that were popular? Rays introduced the 57 line in the early 2000's, and some guys rocked them, but not a ton of people. XT7, XD9, and CR Kai's were big, but then everyone was using them..and no one wants to rock the wheel that everyone else has (talking about cheap wheels).
You know, if you factor in inflation, it's probably close haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post

So yeah, IMO within the last decade - we have had plenty of "hotboi" wheels within an affordable range. Again, this isn't dissing 3 piece and 2k-3k wheels. Been there / am there. But there is still a glaring hole for our sizes in current, new markups, in the 600 - 2000 range. That's a wide range and market.
Agreed. Even when Sportmaxx started (which then became XXR), They had wheels that were simple designs that weren't just copied and pasted from other companies. They were heavy as shit and came in very limited sizing, but it was a pretty simple "get what you pay for" kinda deal. Even now they're not straight up replicas, but they've produced enough wheels that were basically another companies design with a tweak or two for me to consider them... not something I want to own. I just visited their website and it looks like they've massively reduced their line and mostly everything comes in 18" and above now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Wheels make a car in my eyes, you can run all of the cool shit under the hood and have an sick kit, but without a set of cool wheels, whats the point?

The sub 2k category is rough right now and has been for the last year or two, new there are few options that really fit our cars. Shit even the used market has most sets passing 2k if you want something that will fit without spacers or a re-build. I can't honestly say I know of a wheel that really fits the "hotboi" category that can be purchased new for under 2k right now.

/rantstart

I feel most young car "Enthusiasts" have a mindset of "cheap is good" that is reinforced by idiots on FB yelling about how great their cheap wheels are. They keep buying junk and feeding the industry of knockoffs, killing the incentive of the name brands who want to innovate and bring new designs out.

If you owned a company and made new, innovative wheels just to have someone else knock them off, would you even bother continue trying to make something new that will just continue the cycle of copy, paste? Its impossible to be original then compete with with the brand stealing your ideas and selling a full set of wheels to idiots for $600. Although they aren't directly competing, dipshits are going to go for the junk over the OG because they can get more IG likes per dollar if their car looks some kind of way.

We're all part of a small group that gives a shit about supporting the real companies that care about working to bring new product to market. Until there is a way to stop the rampant copycat bullshit I doubt we see many new, fresh, semi-affordable, quality wheels.

/rantend
100%. Wheels make the car. There have always been the "just as good" crowd justifying their purchases. I really think Rota was the root of the knockoff problem. They started out with a massive line of wheels that were basically identical in form to much more expensive ones and at a much cheaper cost. They sponsored a ton of people and blew up (literally and figuratively). Funny enough, if you google "rota wheels" one of the top questions asked is "Do rota wheels break?" .

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote