View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #8
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
id go with the NISMO hard rubber inserts. i have megan lateral rods and trailing arms on my Protege and honestly, the hard rubber inserts are garbage. id take heim joints over them any day. pretty sure Megan is using cheap rubber in their products.
I don't doubt the Megan's are inferior. I'm just saying that's the only game in town. Febest is the other brand that makes replacement OEM style bushings. Regular Nissan bushings are out of production, leaving only the premium priced Nismo Ones.

I'm sure you know, but for anyone just reading along -

Nismo Rear Knuckle Bushings (6pcs) will set you back $180.
Megan Rear Knuckle Bushings (6pcs) $110.
Febest (6pc) - $70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
and you mentioned above about your dislike using urethane and heim joints from your S13 experience. im curious... what is it about both that you dislike so much? my S13 hatch is currently all heim joints and urethane bushings and i have zero qualms with any of my suspension setup (outside of the driveline noise from the rear subframe which i will remedy one day). ive driven a low mileage S13 Silvia a friend owns and the suspension slop is just god awful. not sure why youd be ok with that?
There is reason every single OEM ever does not use Heim and Polyurethane.

The noise and vibration was terrible. Diff whine, suspension squeak and creak. It also road stiff and I feel Poly slows the knuckles ability to articulate and return to neutral. Overall, that car had every single "Tuner Check Box, Zilvia Approved Race Mod" and was straight up un-enjoyable at the end of it.

The nail in the coffin, that made me sell the car -

At the last drift event I attend, my buddy and I swapped cars for a few laps. His an '89 Coupe, 100% stock except for a RB25 swapped with the boost cranked to 15psi and K-sports.

It absolutely destroyed my S20, top mount, built Hatch in terms of fun and smoothness.

Another great data point I have is from Cobb Tuning. When they purchased a FRS and BRZ for development work, Energy Suspension gave them a complete bushing kit. I forget which car got it, I think the BRZ - but the car became noticeably slower on the track compared to the FRS and significantly less enjoyable to drive on the street.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote