View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #1521
Gription
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Gription is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Gription
Okay guys, so I finished painting my car and getting ready to polish it, but I'm having some problems now and I have lots of questions for you paint shop gurus out there. We used enamel for the base.

So it was like 12 days ago that we cleared the car. Looked all glossy and wet and orange peeley .. sweet.
Waited a few days and the wet sanded it smooth. Looked dull and whatnot like it should. sweet.
Put some water on it just to see what it would look like after polishing and buffing and all that other stuff that I know nothing about. Looked super shiny, wet, popped hard and felt like it did after clear coating but smoother.

Sweet.

I would put some water on a few spots of the car every day just to see what it would look like after polishing just to keep me happy. Still looked sick and felt smooth and good.
THEN.. yesterday I go out there and put some water on it and it would just dissipate instantly. Didn't stay on there, didn't look wet, glossy, and felt super dry and fag status like. I didn't think anything of it.

We cleared the trunk again ago just because it needed it. So it's looking all flashy and good and orange peeley like it should. I didn't wet sand this panel. cool.

Following good so far? Okay cool.

So today my buddy who works at a detail shop came over with his buffer and some compounds and all and went to work on a couple spots just to test it out. Shit looked nothing like it did when I put water on it the first few days after wet sanding. I mean, it looked shinier, but it's hazy and feels rough. Looks and feels nowhere near as good as the trunk does (which is just freshly cleared, no wetsanding). So now I'm all wtf.

He had some turtle wax compounds that he said work good. I know it's not the buffing job at fault here though, because the whole water on wet sanded paint thing seemed to be the issue.

Does anyone know whats going on with this? I don't understand how it can be fine one day and then 2 days later look like a cereal box full of dick. I'm thinking of
A. Wet sanding a test spot and buffing that to see if it just needs to be freshly wet sanded again.

B. Clearing the car again.

Help!
Gription is offline   Reply With Quote