Thread: V8 240sx FAQ
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #58
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
In regards to the rear end gearing question. I'm pretty sure the manual camaros cam with 3.42 and the autos with 2.73. A common upgrade is 3.73s. But the consensus w/ the Camaro Drag racers seems to be that the 3.73s aren't worth the trouble, and most recommend going straight up to the 4.10. The 240s come stock with 4.08. So I figure we are pretty lucky. The only problem is that you are probably going to have to make an extra shift in the 1320 if you are planning on doing it over 115 mph. If serious MPH is on your agenda, you may want to look at something closer to the 3.73. Drag isn't my main concern, so I'm going to stick with my stock 4.08 s14 VLSD as long as possible

I looked into Dry sumping pretty seriously. ARE, Armstrong Race Engineering, out side Sacramento in Orangevale CA, makes more than one pan/kit to dry sump the LS1, beautiful stuff.

But you are really limited as to how low you can place the engine by the transmission. The t56 hangs almost 5 inches below the bottom of the block! The LS running Cadillac Race Cars machined an adapter to run the transmissions on their sides!

Plus there are serious problems with running a dry sump on the street. Cost was a big one for me. Minimum $700, and that would be cheap. Then there's the extra weight, between the extra fluid, lines and pump expect to add near50lbs. Oh and the fact that if a simple belt breaks or comes off you have no oil flow, followed shortly by no bearings. Plus with the cross member in the way you can't even lower the pan to the level of your ground clearance, only to the level of the rack!

For me it just wasn't worth the money, risk, and weight. Especially since you can't take advantage of being able to lower the engine to the degree that drysumps normally afford you.

I'm just going to port an LH6 pump and go.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote